Life In The Fire

for our God is a consuming fire. Hebrews 12:29

Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Reading Fiction

I love to read, but normally I don't read much fiction. I don't have anything against fiction in general, it's just that the deep, analytical bent of my personlity gravitates toward non-fiction books, material that can increase my knowledge or provide practical steps for improvement in some area. Needless to say, I was not thrilled when I received a fiction book for my birthday recently, but boy was I in for a pleasant surprise. I read The Bishop's Daughter by Wanda E. Brunstetter in 3 days! I loved it! It's a modern-day story set mostly within the Amish culture, which I find to be rather fascinating. My preference will still be for non-fiction most of the time, but I'll probably be a bit more open to exploring fiction from now on.

1 Comments:

At 1:30 PM, Blogger Dave said...

I smiled, Tonia! I've read so much nonfiction working on my master's degree, that I jump on every chance to read fiction I get!

My recent addiction is Ted Dekker. He's a suspense writer, with definite Christian/redemptive overtones to his stories. If you don't mind losing a little sleep at night, his books are a great read. He did do a nonfiction called "The Slumber of Christianity," which has some great insights, although it wasn't his best work.

Have a blessed week!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home