Life In The Fire

for our God is a consuming fire. Hebrews 12:29

Thursday, December 08, 2005

Book Notes--How Big Is Your God?

"We are not convinced that we are completely safe in the hands of a fully competent, all-knowing, ever-present God."

That statement from Ortberg really hit me hard because I realized instantly that it applied to me. I say that I believe, but I do not live as if I am convinced. I live fearfully, as if my well-being depended on me. I've come face to face with this fear over the past year as I've wrestled with inner ear damage. Not able to do some things for myself, I've had to depend on help from my family. I begin to fear for my safety and well-being when the "what-ifs" kick-in. I'm sure you're familiar with the game. It goes something like this: "What if I no longer had my family to help me? What if this gets worse instead of better? What if...what if...what if?"

What if I really had the faith I profess to have?

Dave reminded me of a good quote the other day: Don't tell God how big your problems are, tell your problems how big your God is. It's meant to be more than a nice thought. It's meant to be a way of life. How do I get there?

2 Comments:

At 1:46 AM, Blogger Dave said...

I think sometimes God brings us to a point where we are literally so low that He's the only thing we have to hold on to. He's had me there before, and it's a breaking experience, but I've always come out stronger and more faithful because of it.

I guess the ideal situation, though, is to get there on our own before He has to smack us down, right?

I don't think that every struggle in our lives is necessarily a "smack down," though. Just a faith-building experience.

Paul said His strength is made perfect in our weakness. He also promised we wouldn't go through more than we can bear. That's always an incredibly helpful thought for me.

You're in my prayers! I hope you have a blessed weekend!

 
At 10:47 AM, Blogger T.K. Chapman said...

Thank you Dave! I appreciate your prayers and encouragement.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home