Life In The Fire

for our God is a consuming fire. Hebrews 12:29

Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Kyle Lake

I was not able to get the death of Kyle Lake off my mind yesterday. If you haven't heard the story, go here: www.ubcwaco.org. He died during a tragic accident as he was performing a baptism. I just couldn't get that image out of my mind, and knowing that the church was sitting there watching, unable to do anything. He was married and had three young children too. I just don't understand. I mean, I do understand (somewhat) the theological answers, but when you hear something like that it's so hard to wrap your mind around it.
Suffering and pain, both physical and emotional, are things that you don't really get used to. As I'm writing this, I'm thinking about my own pastor, who has been in the hospital now for a month at least. He's fighting vasculitis. It seems that every time things start to improve, he encounters another setback.

I'm bothered more and more by these things. I used to be able to go on about my business (perhaps a bit selfishly even), but I see and hear and experience these things now and it causes a restlessness of mind. I think about heaven...and I feel an unexplainable comfort and an insatiable hunger simultaneously. I used to think, as many other people do, that I would be able to obtain answers to those tough questions once I got there, and maybe we can, but I'm not so sure the questions will even matter once we are there. Jesus will be answer enough.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home